Pages

Another Opinion

Oct 11, 2014

How much is my opinion and experience worth? 

I can write and explain how I see things all day, but in the end, it’s only my opinion. So understanding that, I think it’s a good idea to talk to others - to learn the way that they think, and the things they believe. 

*My Best Friend, Nick

Therefore, let me introduce to you my best friend, Nick. 


Nick and I met about five years ago when both of our families were stationed together on the same base, and we became great friends as we both experienced the same things that military life throws at you. Nick, just like me, has been a military brat his whole life. (follow this link to see what ‘military brat’ means) His Dad serves in the Army, and he has been stationed in over 12 different places. 

I met up with him the other day to ask him a few questions about what he thought about being a brat. 

These are his responses.


Q: How are military brats different from civilian kids?

“You can’t really stereotype them, so you can’t say that the same is true about everything. But one thing that I have noticed is that people in the military tend to be more outgoing, or quicker to make friends, I think, than people that aren’t in the military. 
And I think its due to the fact that you live in the same place for two years, you have to make friends really closely, enjoy it, and then you know you’re moving on. You want to treasure what you have, even if it’s for a short time. So it’s just quicker - it comes more natural to you.”

Q: What was the most exciting thing about being a military brat?

“Well you know, getting to know new people, getting to know friends all over the world, getting to travel around and explore new places. Not very many people get the opportunity to do that. 
I think on one side of it, I’ve always wanted a home town to grow up in, a family and the same friends for my whole life. But then on the other side, that’s one of the biggest blessings - it’s that I get to travel all over. 

Q: What is it like moving all the time?

“Really for us, it wasn’t a whole lot of planning. It was just a sudden ‘Hey, we’re moving in a month or two, just get ready.’ And I had done it my whole life, so it seemed kinda normal. It was really sad, having to say goodbye to friends and church and all the connections you make. But it was exciting too, I mean, going to someplace new was always a little nerve-wracking for a kid. But there is always that excitement, that wonder of going into something new.” 

Q: How do you cope with leaving friends all the time?

“I think it was totally different now than when I was a kid. But even when I was younger, there was Email, I guess, but usually you just leave them, and you have to deal with it. 
But now I left my friends and I haven’t talked to them in four years, and yet I know every single thing that’s going on in their life, and I can talk to them face-to-face almost at any second of the entire day. So it’s not like you leave people anymore.”

Q: How good of an education do military families get?

“I mean it depends - I was homeschooled, so I consider that pretty good. So I feel adequately prepared for school. But you can go to a public school, or you can go to a base school that they provide, or you can go to a private school. Really you have the same options as any other kid.”

Q: What have you learned while being a military brat?

“I learned - it’s a big thing for me - to just trust in the Lord and be flexible. And, you know, as much as I would like to have just lived in the same place with my friends, sometimes it’s just not what He has planned. And you just need to be willing to go where He leads. 
So to just trust Him and not worry about the little things, to just take a step back and see the great adventure that God’s taking us on. That He can use for His glory - to spread His word.”


*Myself and Nick

In closing:

Nick and I share a very similar mindset on most topics having to do with the military brat life. We’re proud to have been through these experiences, and I don’t believe we’d trade them for anything. 

So next time you run into a military family, perhaps you can relate a little more to the kids there. Maybe even give them an encouraging word or two - I’m quite sure they’d appreciate it, because I know I would. 


It’s just another day in the life of a military kid.